Thursday, December 1, 2011

Only the best will survive . . .

Today when I went to go work with Spirit it was freezing cold but it seemed that he had tons of energy and I was excited to work with him. We went into the arena and walked around to familiarize everything. Once of the things that we did was go over to the west end of the arena and walk around the poles on the ground and the bridge. He did so good at following what I was trying to tell him because he jumped up on the tall side of the bridge with only one time of questioning. Then when I went to bridle him he just stood there waiting for me and he even ducked his head so I could reach the top. These little things make me so excited. We practice the different task again. Spirit is a short horse when it comes to duration and he use to be really short but now he can go longer than before which is good. Although, I wish he was a long horse because there are things that I need to practice and see a contrast in but he just wants to stop. I don't know how to help him go for a longer period of time. I know that he needs breaks but times like today I get the feeling that he does have more energy and just is being lazy. So I had to work really hard to have him even trot a little bit after a time. I have seen him work a lot harder than he did today and at least walk for me. So I guess today was a lazy day which we all have. I just wish I knew how to encourage him to go a little further or to get excited when he has lazy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment